Thursday, January 31, 2013

The beginning adventure to my 30s...

You know those times when you have this brilliant idea spark in your head at the most random time? Well I had one the other day and I absolutely loved it. The other night while I was at a wine bar with my parents and their friends, I had briefly mentioned how terrifying and awful it was that I was turning 30 next March. My Dad's friend had a good point and one that seemed to stick to the inside of my brain. He said to me "Ashley, you can't look at it that way. Instead of being sad and depressed you turn 30 next year, why not make the last year of your twenties count? Do something crazy or adventurous". I thought to myself, you know, that's not a bad idea! I like it! So I'm running with it.

My plan is to ultimately do one exciting and memorable thing each month until I turn 30 next March (2014). I'm not talking anything that will land me in jail or get me killed, this has to be something level-headed and inspiring, even if it is just for myself. So far, I think I'm off to a pretty good start...


Matisyahu - Accoustic Session at the Texas Music Theater
 
 
For those of you who are not familiar with this man's music, I highly suggest you check him out. He's a modern day Bob Marley in my eyes. This came at a perfect time when I really needed to hear something inspiring. You know, the type of music that gets into your soul and makes you want to cry and hug the world at the same time.
 
My best friend had asked me about a month ago if I wanted to go. At first I was hesitant because I hadn't listened to his music in forever but I thought you know...his music has always been spiritual and uplifting so I figured this was the perfect time to go. In addition to my best friend going through some pretty heavy stuff in her own life, I've really been battling those low days here lately so I'm extremely glad I went.
 
It was a great night and one that I'll most definitely never forget. We all stopped at a pizza parlor for a bite to eat before the show. One of the guys who had already planned on going before us was having his birthday, so it was the perfect ending to a great day.
 
I can't even begin to tell you the feeling and emotion that came over my body while listening to his songs. His encore song was a mash-up of "No Woman, No Cry" and a song of his very own and it took every bit of me not to tear up. It was an overwhelming sense of joy and an "I'll be just fine with everything going on in my life right now" type of feeling. This is the very reason why I cling to music so much. I want to hold it tightly and never let go.
 
During one of his performances, I managed to record about a minute worth of his song "One Day" which is just absolutely breath-taking and inspiring. Feel free to check it out here.

There are times in our life when we hit those speedbumps in the road, those type that just knock the breath right out of us. As hard as it is sometimes, you've just gotta pick yourself up off the pavement and keep walking. You do whatever it takes to get you to that point: blog, listen to inspiring music, experience things that you'll never forget and always remember or just take a quiet moment to do some reflection. One thing to remember is that in the end, everything always works out for the best. We have one life to live, so make it a beautiful one.

 
Much love,
Ashley



No comments:

Post a Comment